5 FUN Ways to Celebrate Earth Day
Earth Day is today, April 22! And, although every day is Earth Day for me, it’s wonderful to have a whole day to celebrate our magnificent planet. The Earth Day Network works all year to solve climate change, protect endangered species, end plastic pollution and to activate the environmental movement across the globe. Tomorrow’s the perfect opportunity to show appreciation!
With a deeper connection to the Earth and our role here, we naturally become more connected to our food, to each other, and to ourselves.
SO, it’s time to celebrate! 🙏
Here are 5 ways you can celebrate Earth Day today (and every day).
1. BYO silverware. Now’s the perfect time to commit to bringing your own silverware with you. Keep a set in your bag or at your desk so you never need single use plastic silverware again! (Check out the AFC bamboo silverware set here!).
2. BYO cup. Get your caffeine/beverage fix with your own cup! Save money & the planet at the same time by refusing single use (non-recyclable, plastic lined) coffee cups. Either bring your own (my favorite is this AFC eCoffee cup) or enjoy your drink to stay in a real mug.
3. Snack Naked. The best snacks are naked snacks- ones without any packaging! Think fresh fruits (bananas, pears, apples, oranges, peaches, plums, pineapple, mango) and dried fruits (mango, pineapple, prunes, figs), fresh veggies (carrots, cucumbers, peppers, broccoli), and DIY trail mix (with nuts, seeds, dried fruit, chocolate from the bulk section). The packaged snacks that you’re grabbing should ONLY have real, whole food ingredients…why not just eat the real, whole foods themselves! Try to bring one naked snack with you each day this week!
4. Shop Naked. Rip the Band-Aid off and buy 1 item in bulk at the supermarket without any plastic! This could mean ditching the plastic produce bag (aka Let Loose with Your Produce) or getting nuts for your #snacknaked DIY trail mix from the bulk section with your own bag (read my guide to buying in bulk here). It can feel overwhelming to conquer buying in bulk, I get it! YOU CAN DO IT! And I’m here to help. Ask me any questions you have!
5. Attend an Earth Day event. I’ll be at Lululemon in Manhasset talking about a healthy, low waste life! Naked snacks will be provided! If you aren’t on Long Island, check out the Earth Day 5K Green Tour in NYC or search “Earth Day events in [your city].”
I want to see how you’re celebrating so tag me @abbysfoodcourt and we can celebrate together virtually!